Sunday, June 24, 2012

Jimbo's First Report!

Hey All, Throck and Jimbo here. The following battle report is the first including American's, Jimbo's First major game and Jimbo's first Sealion game. Everyone welcome him to the blog! We're throwing down in the war ravaged province of Buckinghamshire.



This is Jimbo's first big game! He's done a learn to play and observed a few games before but he's taken the plunge and jummped right into Operation Sealion with the rest of the crew. Today we fight in Buckinghamshire in a breakthrough scenario at 2000 Points.


Jimbo's Yank Tanks
  • HQ: 1x Sherman 76 1x Sherman Jumbo
  • Combat Platoon 1: 1x Sherman Jumbo 2x Sherman 76
  • Combat Platoon 2: 1x Sherman Jumbo 2x Sherman 76
  • Combat Platoon 3: 1x Sherman Jumbo 2x Sherman 76
  • Div Support: 1x Armored Rifle Platoon
  • Div Support: Priority P-47
  • 4 Platoons: 2000 Points
Kampfgruppe VonThrock
  • HQ: 2x Commanzerfaust 2x Track
  • Combat Platoon 1: 1x Commanzerfaust 6x MG Team 4x Track
  • Combat Platoon 2: 1x Commanzerfaust 6x MG Team 4x Track
  • Weapons Platoon: Mortars 4x 12cm
  • Weapons Platoon: 2x PaK 40
  • Div Support: 4x Panther G
  • Div Support: 2x 8.8 PaK 43
  • Div Support: AA 3x Quad 2cm
  • Warrior: Dietrich VonThrockmorton (von Saucken)
  • 7 Platoons: 2000 Points



SETUP AND DEPLOYMENT

What we're all fighting for is at the end of that road :)



Table Set Up, a lazy english farming community

Another Set Up Shot

German Deployment, in the town, only taking one of the two table quarters

The Mighty 88's hold the flank

While the Panzer Grens Sit in the town overlooking the objectives

American's Prepare to steam forward into the jaws of the AT in their deployment

As they face down a lightly defended town

UNITS IN RESERVE
Jimbo's Yank Tanks
  • Armored Rifle Platoon
Kampfgruppe VonThrock
  • Panther G's
  • 1 Platoon of Panzer Grens
  • Ack Ack


DEPLOYMENT SUMMARY
Jimbo's Yank Tanks: For me, it was a choice to go around and flank from the far side of the town or quickly silence the 88's and PaK 40's. I choose to go straight at the 88's.
Kampfgruppe VonThrock: Mobile reserves gave me some tough choices to make. In the end I wanted to have my AT assetes on the table even it that meant they didn't get their transports. Of course, I over extended the 88's and put them in a very vulnerable position, I would pay for this later.

TURN 1

Yank Tanks move up to threaten the 88's

Throwing Heavy fire into the 88's, pinning them but doing no damage.

COMBAT CASUALTY SUMMARY
Jimbo's Yank Tanks
  • 1x Yank Tank Platoon DESTROYED
Kampfgruppe VonThrock


    TURN 1 SUMMARY
    Jimbo's Yank Tanks: I moved my tanks up in force to try and end the 88's. It didn't happen but they were pinned. I didn't want to assault until at least one of the two guns was gone, so I held off for a turn.
    Kampfgruppe VonThrock: My 88's of course, didn't unpin and they completely whiffed on the Tanks facing them. The PaK 40's however did much better taking 2 76's out of the fight forcing the Jumbo to make a morale test, which it failed. WEWT!

    TURN 2

    Americans move in for the kill on the 88's

    And succeed

    P-47 swoops in over the German Mortars

    Scoring One Kill

    Furthest Yank Tank platoon assults and kills the 1iC, but not before he Takes out a 76

    Panthers arrive from reserve!

    And end Yank Tank platoon

    PaK 40's Open up and take out a 76

    COMBAT CASUALTY SUMMARY
    Jimbo's Yank Tanks
    • 1x Yank Tank Platoon DESTROYED
    • Yank Tank Platoon 2 DESTROYED
    • Yank Platoon 3: 1x 76
    Kampfgruppe VonThrock
    • 88's DESTROYED
    • Mortar x1
    • 1iC DESTROYED


    TURN 2 SUMMARY
    Jimbo's Yank Tanks: It all started out great, I got the 88's and the 1iC. My tanks moved up to threaten the PaK40's and all seemed good.
    Kampfgruppe VonThrock: Until my Panther's showed up and ruined the show!

    TURN 3

    Remaining Yank Tanks redeploy

    While the armored rifles show up and threaten the objective!

    Tanks eat the PaK 40's forcing the command team to run!

    Panthers Advance

    While the grens spread out to cover both objectives.

    And the reserve gren's double time it to the back of the church

    COMBAT CASUALTY SUMMARY
    Jimbo's Yank Tanks
    • 1x Yank Tank Platoon DESTROYED
    • Yank Tank Platoon 2 DESTROYED
    • Yank Platoon 3: 1x 76
    Kampfgruppe VonThrock
    • 88's DESTROYED
    • Mortar x1
    • PaK 40's DESTROYED
    • 1iC DESTROYED


    TURN 3 SUMMARY
    Jimbo's Yank Tanks: Killing those PaK 40's and getting my armored rifles let me start to run around his flank and threaten both objective from two different directions.
    Kampfgruppe VonThrock: Crap, I'm spread thin, he's got his great armored infantry now on the table and it's going to take me at least a turn to respond. The Church is lightly defended with the 2iC and the Mortar Spotter, certainly not enough to hold off an assault.

    TURN 4

    P-47's range in on the Panthers

    1iC and remaining Jumbo Threaten the Panzer Grens in the open

    My that's a big tank you have there

    Armored Rifles dismount and head off to threaten the church.

    While the Tanks Start reducing the panzer grens

    In the ensuing assault, Germans counter assault hoping to kill the Jumbo, but fail horribly

    Armored Rifles Assault the Church taking out the spotter and the 2iC

    Panzer Grens try to take it back in their turn

    But are pushed back!

    COMBAT CASUALTY SUMMARY
    Jimbo's Yank Tanks
    • 1x Yank Tank Platoon DESTROYED
    • Yank Tank Platoon 2 DESTROYED
    • Yank Platoon 3: 2x 76
    Kampfgruppe VonThrock
    • 88's DESTROYED
    • Mortar x1, Spotter
    • PaK 40's DESTROYED
    • 1iC DESTROYED
    • Panzer Gren Platoon 1: 3x MG Team
    • 2iC DESTROYED


    TURN 4 SUMMARY
    Jimbo's Yank Tanks: This is a good start, if I can hold on to the church I'll win this thing in a turn. I'm threating both objective and I've got to make it hard to get pushed out of there.
    Kampfgruppe VonThrock: Double crap. He's on both objectives, it's do or die time for the plucky panzer grens. They'll have to assault next turn.

    TURN 5

    In their haste to support the armored rifles the Jumbo and 1iC get bogged!

    While the rifle team only manage to kill one 1 half track that was threatening the objective.

    Rifles open fire on the rear of the two gren platoons doing some serious damage

    Panthers sneak up on the bogged Jumbo and 1iC, elminating both! Also bailing the 2iC

    Panzergrens, Half Tracks and AA and the kitchen sink open up on the church

    And then assault!

    In the ensuing Melee the whole rifle team is taken out with no casualties to the Grens, a miracle!

    End of game

    End of game... as well

    COMBAT CASUALTY SUMMARY
    Jimbo's Yank Tanks
    • 1x Yank Tank Platoon DESTROYED
    • Yank Tank Platoon 2 DESTROYED
    • Yank Platoon 3: DESTROYED
    • 1iC DESTROYED
    • Rifle Platoon: 1x Command Team 1x Rifle Stand 1x Bazooka
    Kampfgruppe VonThrock
    • 88's DESTROYED
    • Mortar x1, Spotter
    • PaK 40's DESTROYED
    • 1iC DESTROYED
    • Panzer Gren Platoon 1: 6x MG Team
    • 2iC DESTROYED


    TURN 5 SUMMARY
    Jimbo's Yank Tanks: I was really hoping to assault with my tanks and when I was unable to do so it was devistating. It not only showed their backsides to the panthers but stopped them from shooting at anybody at a critical moment. Unsupported, the infantry wasn't able to do enough to push the Panzergrens away from the objecitve.
    Kampfgruppe VonThrock: It's hail mary time. I knew I needed to assault into the church so I threw my mortars, my half tracks, my Panzergrens and my recently arrived Ack Ack into the fight. And it turned out to be enough! At the top of 6 Jimbo fails his company morale check and that's game.
    Jimbo: There were a couple of critical moments where statistically I feel I should have been able to do some more damage that would have slowed Throck's momentum. Such as the air support not managing to kill very much. By mid game my tanks were pretty much combat ineffective meaning my rifle platoon got overwhelmed. This was lots of fun. Playing the game really gave me a bunch of familiarity with the rules, I know I'll do better next time as I understand how things work together much better now. Throck: Thanks for the game Jimbo! This was a nail biter. It came down to a few critical dice rolls and one very very successful assault that could have easily gone the other way with the fire power an armored rifle platoon could bring to bear. I totally misplaced my deployment but was able to create enough of a roadblock to get my forces where I needed them when they needed to be there.




    Generated by WWPD's BatRepper Software.

    1 comment: